The idea is simple. When you start your meeting, give the first 5 minutes back.
That’s it. Join the #FirstFiveMinutes club!
4 Simple Steps
- Schedule your meeting as normal.
- Share your screen, load this image, then mute yourself.
- Use the five minutes to improve your well being.
- Un-mute and have great meeting.
- Back to back meetings happen.
- Meeting fatigue is real.
- Work/Meetings often expand to fill the time available for them - Parkinson’s law.
- It’s supported by Science! which says:
- Breaks help to reset the brain
- Breaks increase focus and engagement
- Breaks help in transitioning
- It’s easier to start late, than stop early, especially if it’s a good conversation.
- It’s a nice thing to do.
- Schedule shorter meetings?
- Outlook lets you do this, but only on Windows.
- Someone might schedule into that gap!
- Have less meetings / no meeting days.
- This is a great idea.
- … ?
This is not my idea, I think. I am sure I heard it somewhere else, but I made an image for it using Canva, and then this website. It’s hosted on github pages, using jekyll - which means it’s very easy for anyone to help with ideas, designs, spelling fixes etc. There is probably a lot of research/ideas in this space, please share them (ideally with a PR) and I will update this page.
Be the change you want to see in your workplace/industry/world.
Thanks - Alex